Breaking It Open
Finding the gifts in adversity
For adults • 90 minutes
Saturday 1:30pm • Court 6
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
You can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs. As with breakfast foods, so is life. Sometimes, it takes going through a mess – sitting amongst the rubble of egg shells and kitchen scraps – to find the comfort and joy waiting on the other side. And often, there is something of value that life is offering even when you’re in the middle of the chaos.
There are certain experiences that make us human. These allow us to feel joy, gratitude, sorrow and pain. Sometimes we feel all of these at once. Then there are experiences that seem to only serve to make us wounded or depressed. But in every adversity there is a gift. Using a variety of metaphors, small group discussions and journaling exercises, this workshop will help you learn to look for the gifts that life gives you, even when it feels like you’re in the midst of a raging storm.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Identify the gifts that have come from past adversity
- Practice gratitude statements to make it easier to find gifts in the future
- Go beyond phrasing challenges as questions – phrase challenging situations as opportunities
White Plains, NY, USA
Missy Goldwasser Carvin joined New Directions Consulting, Inc. in 2007. Although she had worked for the firm on a part-time basis for almost 15 years, she had put her BA in theater and history from Hartwick College into service working for Girl Scouts.
Now she is the President of New Directions, heading up the creative and online services as well as designing and implementing ”traditional“ research projects. She has been a leader at CPSI since 2011 and has also presented workshops at Florida Creativity Weekend and Mindcamp.
Missy is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
Buffalo, NY, USA
Beth holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Buffalo in History with a minor in Dance, a Social Studies Certification in Education from Buffalo State College, and a Masters of Science in Creative Studies from Buffalo State College. When not on Buffalo State or Genesee Community College’s campus teaching, she spends her time playing on state at Buffalo ComedySportz.
Beth enjoys teaching and training on humor and creativity and is two years into completing the work on her Certified Humor Professional standing. She uses this work when she speaks on the value of laughing through challenges.
Beth is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Saturday 1:30pm sessions:
- Breaking It Open Finding the gifts in adversity (Missy Carvin, Beth Slazak)
- Discover PREZI A great tool for presenting interconnected ideas (Carole Rudzinski)
- Fantastic Voyage Travel old ways to new solutions (Co Doesburg)
- Gift of Courageous Feedback How to navigate tough conversations for win-win outcomes (Deborah Jann)
- ImageStreaming Work directly with the most intelligent part of your brain
- Metaphor and Creativity A powerful encounter (René Bernèche)
- The Thinkubator A space to create (Terri Segal, Ian Rosenfeldt)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?