The connection between creativity and tolerating complexity
For adults (teens welcome) • 90 minutes
Thursday 1:30pm • Court 6
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
One of the big affective skills underlying the creative process is “tolerance for complexity” — what does that mean and, bigger yet, how do we become better at having cognitive complexity?
In this session we’ll explore how holding multiple ideas at once can open you up to greater possibilities and lead to more creative thinking.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Explore the connection between creativity and tolerating complexity
- Experience fun exercises to challenge your current thinking
- Design a plan to enhance your creative brilliance
Katie Tagye is the Faculty Fellow at the Collaborative Design Center at Valencia College giving her the unique opportunity to learn first-hand and in-depth more about creative thinking, attitudes, and behaviors. Katie has been a Professor of Communication at Valencia for 8 years and has worked at the college since 2001 in various departments from advising and Student Development to Student Success. She graduated from UCF with a Bachelors of Arts in English Education, a Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling, and a Master of Arts in Interpersonal Communication.
This is Katie’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
Ottawa, ON, Canada
As a trainer and facilitator, Dan has spent the last 17 years helping people expand their thinking and discover new possibilities. With his quick wit, probing questioning skills and productive thinking techniques Dan helps clients engage their whole brain, and find productive solutions to their challenges.
Whether facilitating a training workshop, a new product ideation, a strategic planning session, or just a plain old meeting, Dan brings his positive energy and passion to the task. He is known for delivering high content sessions in a relaxed and entertaining style. Underlying Dan’s passion for productive thinking is a deep commitment to helping people learn and achieve useful outcomes.
Dan is a member of the Creative Education Foundation and on the faculty of the Creative Problem Solving Institute. He is also a certified practitioner of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).
When not working, you can find Dan training to master the arts of jiu-jitsu, cooking and photography.
Dan is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Thursday 1:30pm sessions:
- Between the Beats The magic of rhythm lies in the space between (Mario Allende, Toto Berriel)
- Celebrating Complexity The connection between creativity and tolerating complexity (Katie Tagye, Dan Bigonesse)
- FOMO to JOMO Trust your creativity through fear, uncertainty, and loss (Karen BK Chan)
- Raising Adults How to get creative about about raising a creative generation (Ismet Mamnoon)
- The Possible Dream Sequence 1 – Garden of Totems (Clara Kluk, Sylvain Rouillard)
- Tracking Wonder The surprising path to Beginner’s Mind (Jeffrey Davis)
- U Lead Tango as a creative leadership tool (Manuel Soto, Nicole Dobinson)
- Undoing the Splits Exploring the spaces between inner and outer life (Alina Isaac)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?