Creative and collaborative problem-solving mindset and methods
For adults • 75 minutes
Wednesday 8:00pm • Court 6
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Design Thinking is critical for innovation. In this interactive workshop, we will study and practise the creative and collaborative problem-solving mindset and methods of Design Thinking.
As well, we will discuss the strategies it formulates to bring about innovation, distinctiveness and competitive advantage. A study of Apple Company will be included.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- understand the creative and collaborative mindset of design thinking
- grasp and practise the strategies in design thinking that bring about innovation and growth in a business
- grasp the methodologies Design Thinking can utilize to bring about competitive advantage in the marketplace
Cecilia Yau is an educational consultant; a creative problem solving facilitator; a speaker; an editor and a writer. She had been a co-ordinator of the Gifted Program (kindergarten to Grade 13) in the Niagara South Board of Education in Canada for 20 years. She was appointed Chairperson of the Ontario Consultants for the Gifted.
Also, she had been an instructor at Brock University and Niagara College, St. Catharines, Ontario, for over 10 years. She had facilitated creative problem solving workshops for Ontario Government agencies: the health, cultural and financial sectors; small businesses in the Niagara Region.
For over 25 years, she has been presenting numerous workshops on creative thinking; creative problem solving; qualitative research; managing change and transitions; team building and many other topics in provincial and international conferences throughout Canada and the United States. She has been a Leader of the Creative Education Foundation (CEF) and a faculty member of the Creative Problem Solving Institute since 1983. As well, she has served as a member of the Board of Directors for CEF for 6 years. Cecilia is an avid lifelong learner. She has a Master of Arts from McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario and a Master of Science from the State University of New York in Buffalo. Her recent books are: Breakthrough and Beyond: 20th Century Scientific Revolutions and Artistic Innovations and Creative Geniuses: Breaking Boundaries in Science and Art in the Modern World.
Cecilia is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Wednesday 8:00pm sessions:
- Creative Thinking Primer How process + tools can make you more creative (Dan Bigonesse)
- Design Thinking Creative and collaborative problem-solving mindset and methods (Cecilia Yau)
- First Night Freewrite Get into the flow of Mindcamp with a freewriting session (Cynthia Reyes)
- Opening Night Improv Brilliance exists within the blank canvas (Kate Ashby)
- Taming Judgment Turning your inner judge into an ally (Jeanne Chatigny, Franca Leeson)
- Warp Speed Creativity Bring a problem. Bring your feet (Really?). Expect the unexpected. (Tim Hurson)
- We at KC A simple tool to help change stick (Leonardo Muñoz)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?