Diving into Poetry
Finding your treasure
For adults • Mind U session
Maximum Participants: 12
Daily 9:00am • Centennial 13
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
This program is designed to guide participants through the process of writing and sharing poetry: from generating ideas to choosing forms to selecting venues in which to share poems.
We’ll start with the spoken word: reading poems aloud—immersing ourselves in the content and forms of other poets. Then we will move to varied techniques for tapping our own deep language and experiences. We’ll practice free-writing and writing from prompts.
Participants need no experience, just a willingness to join in the exercises.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Discover how language works in poetry
- Mine personal and collective experience for material
- Discover forms that poets use to shape their material
Image used by kind permission of Alan McFayden.
New York, NY
Michelle Tokarczyk has been writing poetry since she was 9 years old and teaching writing classes for over 25 years. She has published one poetry book, The House I’m Running From, has another, Bronx Migrations, coming out in 2016, and has published in numerous print and online publications.
A professor of English at Goucher College, she divides her time between Baltimore and New York City. She enjoys seeing people turn vague ideas and images into poetry.
Michelle is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
Fort Myers, FL, USA
Lee has presented sessions at CPSI, CREA, Sarasota, FL. and Mindcamp, and in South Africa. She recently moved from Santa Fe to Fort Myers, FL, and still travels the world to hug grandchildren.
She has published three poetry books: Cocktail Shaker (2009), Life in the Poorhouse (2013), and BOSQUE RHYTHMS (2014, a collaboration of 5 poets).
Lee is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Daily 9:00am sessions:
- Are You Here Yet? Improv for the moment (Kate Ashby)
- Art of Deferring Judgment This space intentionally left blank (Matteo Catullo, Max Hurson)
- Creative Team Dynamics Bridging the creative space between people (Marc Hurwitz, Samantha Hurwitz)
- Diving into Poetry Finding your treasure (Michelle Tokarczyk, Lee Dunne)
- Make It Real Making visual thinking and story telling a magical sensory experience (Jim Ridge)
- Mirror, Mirror Learn the art and science of delivering and receiving feedback (John Sedgwick, Ian Rosenfeldt)
- Painting Your Life Letting go and creating the unknowable (Russell Thomas)
- Shower Thinking The art, science and process of incubation (Clare Dus, Liz Monroe-Cook, Kristen Peterson)
- Theory U and YoU Kick start your Theory YoU (John Frederick, Joette Field)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?