Metaphor and Creativity
A powerful encounter
For adults • 90-minute session
Saturday 1:30pm • Court 4
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Our word metaphor comes from the Greek metaphora, meaning “to transport”. Metaphors, in which words or phrases are applied to things to which they do not literally apply, allow us to enhance our thinking, open new pathways to meaning, and create powerful communication.
Through images, communication becomes more meaningful and more evocative. The metaphor, with its capacity to provoke creative transformations, brings the originality of our mental images to life. The metaphor calls for attention, astonishment and reflection, invites us to perceive differently and to elaborate on complex and sensitive subjects.
The metaphor establishes relations with different horizons to allow the emergence of original ideas, and invests our communication with more power, more clarity, and more creativity.
In this session, you will be be exposed to a definition of creativity and its components. You will explore the process of creating metaphors and learn how to integrate them in original modes of thinking and communication. And you will discover how to enhance your own thinking and communication by applying the unique Metaphorical Stairway to your own ideas.
(If at the end of this session, you say, “This program blew me away,” you will be employing a metaphor.)
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Insights into how image and metaphor can enhance your thinking, your creativity, and your ability to communicate
- René’s Metaphoric Stairway — a powerful technique you can use anywhere, any time to generate more, and more creative, ideas.
- Your own Metaphoric Stairway poem
René holds a PhD in Psychology from the Université de Bordeaux (France) and continued post-doctoral studies at the University of California in Santa Cruz and Berkeley where he specialised in Psychology of Creative behavior. Professor of Psychology at Université du Québec à Montréal (now retired), he introduced courses on creativity and change in various programs (psychology, visual arts, theater, communication).
Experienced leader of the Creative Problem Solving Institute, CPSI, (Buffalo, San Diego) René is also a certified trainer on Simplex Transformation Process and certified for the KAI. René completed a three-year term as an elected Member of the Board of Trustees of the Creative Education Foundation, CEF. His colleagues honored him with the Distinguished Leader Award and the induction into the CPSI Hall of Fame. He has designed and presented numerous training sessions on creativity and innovation conjugating his interests in arts and psychology of creative behavior.
During the past five years, René has been involved with the activities of the Creative European Association, CREA, as a presenter of sessions and as a keynote speaker in Sestri Levante (Italy), in Paris (France) and at University of Bologna.
He completed his training for the use of the Neethling Brain Instruments, NBI, and conducted a session in creative communication at the African Creativity Association Conference, ACRE, in South Africa, fall 2005.
He is involved in a long term project with the Mumbai International Creativity Center (MICC), coordinating an international team of idea generation in order to design a Theme Park on Creativity and Innovation in Mumbai (India).
René is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Saturday 1:30pm sessions:
- Breaking It Open Finding the gifts in adversity (Missy Carvin, Beth Slazak)
- Discover PREZI A great tool for presenting interconnected ideas (Carole Rudzinski)
- Fantastic Voyage Travel old ways to new solutions (Co Doesburg)
- Gift of Courageous Feedback How to navigate tough conversations for win-win outcomes (Deborah Jann)
- ImageStreaming Work directly with the most intelligent part of your brain
- Metaphor and Creativity A powerful encounter (René Bernèche)
- The Thinkubator A space to create (Terri Segal, Ian Rosenfeldt)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?