Navigating Cultural Differences
The key to creating diverse and inclusive environments
For adults • 2 x 90 minutes
Maximum Participants: 16
Friday 10:45am • Court 5
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Participants must pre-register and take an online assessment prior to this session! Please write firstname.lastname@example.org by MONDAY, AUGUST 8 to indicate your interest and we’ll set you up.
The space between cultures can be a Pandora’s box of trouble — and of hope. Learning to navigate cultural differences is a critical skill for the future. As the world becomes more interconnected, the demand for each of us to be able to shift our cultural perspective and change our behaviours will only become greater.
In this session we’ll use the Intercultural Development Inventory™ to explore how individuals and teams encounter differences and we can use what we know to develop intercultural skills that drive creativity and innovation.
The assessment is a crucial part of taking this session. The two go together: people who take the assessment should take the session, and people who take the session should take the assessment. There is normally a fee for this assessment, but it is being covered by the presenter as a donation to Mindcamp!
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- A clear sense of where you stand in terms of encountering cultural differences
- Sharper self-awareness and the ability to identify attitudes, issues, and hidden assumptions that may be impeding your ability to work productively with others
- A map of the developmental stages of intercultural sensitivity
Toronto, ON, Canada
Hamlin is a diversity and inclusion strategist with nearly two decades of experience working with individuals, teams and organizations to meet the challenges and reap the rewards of a culturally diverse environment. He is a Qualified Administrator of the Intercultural Development Inventory™. As principal consultant and president of DiversiPro, a diversity consulting firm based in Toronto, Hamlin has been engaged by corporations, not-for-profit agencies and governments in Canada, the US, and Europe.
Hamlin believes a deeper understanding of how culture affects human interactions is a vital prerequisite in today’s fast-paced diverse world. He is a skilled facilitator and trainer with keen insights in team dynamics and intercultural competence.
All Friday 10:45am sessions:
- Boost Your Bliss! Radically reliable self-confidence (Laila Ghattas)
- Bounce! Resiliency and the space between impact and renewal (Greg Zlevor)
- From Story to Stage Bridging the space between you and your audience (Michel Neray)
- Gamification When the game becomes serious (Sylvain Rouillard, Guillemette Goglio)
- Graphic Recording Bootcamp Practice, play and draw together! Polish your visual vocabulary! (Tanya Gerber)
- Navigating Cultural Differences The key to creating diverse and inclusive environments (Hamlin Grange)
- Stepping into Coherence Aligning creativity and purpose (Francois Coetzee)
- Third Way Leadership Harnessing mindfulness and intention (Gina Paigen)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?