Opening Night Improv
Brilliance exists within the blank canvas
For adults (teens welcome) • 75 minutes
Wednesday 8:00pm • Centennial Auditorium
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
During this highly interactive workshop participate in some fun and energetic improvisational training. Discover that brilliance exists within the blank canvas, you can access ideas from nowhere, and you think best when you’re not thinking.
This workshop can be a prelude to Kate’s “Are You Here Yet?” Mind U session, or stand on its own. It helps you access more of your creative thinking brain cells and discover new ways of communicating. Come out and play…and leave with seriously useful stuff!
If this class scares you…perfect.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Release your creativity energy
- Think about problems in new ways
- Improve your listening skills
Kate has taught in many environments. During her 15-year tenure at Second City, Kate developed one of the Training Centre’s most successful programs; it still runs today. During her 13 years teaching at Ryerson University, she honed her program for executives. And for over 16 years at Workman Arts (CAMH), her program has been transformational for individuals suffering from mental illness.
Kate’s students are a mix of all ages and occupations. They include a Major League baseball player, one of Toronto’s highest producing real estate agents, a Director of an Ontario Crown Corporation and award winning actors.
A double Gemini nominated actor, Kate has numerous film, theatre, radio and television credits including a recurring role on the history channels hit TV series ”Gangland.“ However, for 20+ years, her passion has been teaching improv. The Kate Ashby Academy, launched in 2010 in Toronto, with full enrollment, always has a waiting list.
All Wednesday 8:00pm sessions:
- Creative Thinking Primer How process + tools can make you more creative (Dan Bigonesse)
- Design Thinking Creative and collaborative problem-solving mindset and methods (Cecilia Yau)
- First Night Freewrite Get into the flow of Mindcamp with a freewriting session (Cynthia Reyes)
- Opening Night Improv Brilliance exists within the blank canvas (Kate Ashby)
- Taming Judgment Turning your inner judge into an ally (Jeanne Chatigny, Franca Leeson)
- Warp Speed Creativity Bring a problem. Bring your feet (Really?). Expect the unexpected. (Tim Hurson)
- We at KC A simple tool to help change stick (Leonardo Muñoz)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?