Painting Your Life
Letting go and creating the unknowable
For adults • Mind U session
Maximum Participants: 10
Daily 9:00am • Court 6
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Playing with canvas, paint and brushes can be incredible fun when we allow ourselves the gift of letting go of our inner critic. This session will be a guided creation experience where participants will be given prompts that will inspire colour, shapes, text and composition on individual canvases. Like everything in life, we become tethered to things: ideas, people, habits, and patterns. What happens when we let go of our attachments?
Participants will be asked to give over their creation to the group, at which point they will select someone else’s work and be led through a new series of prompts.
How will allowing ourselves to respond to others’ creative instincts influence our own? How can collaborative creation exponentially affect outcomes?
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- The freedom from your inner critic
- The power of letting go of attachments
- The thrill of collaborative creation
Fort McMurray, AB
Russell Thomas is an emerging portrait artist based in Fort McMurray. By day, he contracts his communication expertise to a variety of clients, including The United Way of Fort McMurray. By night and on weekends, he creates wild colour portraits and murals in a style reminiscent of Fauvism. A freelance writer, social media guru, actor and facilitator, Russell is also a recovered municipal politician (he lost his last election – the therapy is going great!).
Russell is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Daily 9:00am sessions:
- Are You Here Yet? Improv for the moment (Kate Ashby)
- Art of Deferring Judgment This space intentionally left blank (Matteo Catullo, Max Hurson)
- Creative Team Dynamics Bridging the creative space between people (Marc Hurwitz, Samantha Hurwitz)
- Diving into Poetry Finding your treasure (Michelle Tokarczyk, Lee Dunne)
- Make It Real Making visual thinking and story telling a magical sensory experience (Jim Ridge)
- Mirror, Mirror Learn the art and science of delivering and receiving feedback (John Sedgwick, Ian Rosenfeldt)
- Painting Your Life Letting go and creating the unknowable (Russell Thomas)
- Shower Thinking The art, science and process of incubation (Clare Dus, Liz Monroe-Cook, Kristen Peterson)
- Theory U and YoU Kick start your Theory YoU (John Frederick, Joette Field)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?