Theory U and YoU
Kick start your Theory YoU
For adults • Mind U session
Maximum Participants: 16
Daily 9:00am • Court 5
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Come and have fun tapping into the spirit of Sid Parnes and Otto Scharmer’s Theory U concepts. This dynamic and experiential session explores how Theory U interfaces with Creative Problem Solving (CPS) to create dynamic flow. The principles of Theory U: Open Mind, Open Heart and Open Will enrich and complement the CPS experience.
Theory U is an awareness-based process that invites us to reflect on and cultivate our strengths while simultaneously asking us to address our resistors of judgment, cynicism and fear. This process shifts us to clear thought, heightened emotional intelligence and courageous action, increasing our capacity to make positive individual and global change.
Using the arts with reflective and group activities, the session will provide tools to launch you toward your Theory YoU!
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Have fun exploring Theory U to create a relationship to Deep Creative Problem Solving (CPS)
- Delight in applying Deep CPS concepts and practices personally or professionally
- Gain tools and a process to kick start your Theory YoU
Amherst, NY, USA
”Education is learning more than what is taught.”
As founder of the Center for Executive Leadership and Change (ELC) at Daemen College, Amherst NY, Dr. Frederick developed and teaches in the innovative Master of Science degree program (www.daemen.edu/ELC ).
A past board member and graduate of Leadership Buffalo (LB’92, LBGI), John chaired the organizational initiative to transform Leadership Buffalo to a values-based community leadership model (Service – Diversity – Inclusion – Openness to Change).
John is recognized as a Creative Education Foundation (CEF)/Creative Problem Solving Institute (CPSI) Distinguished Leader and is currently active with CPSI YouthWise the CEF global learning initiative.
His certifications include the administration of the Kirton-Adaption-Innovation Inventory, the FourSight creativity assessment and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), He has extensive experience using the Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI).
He earned his Doctorate in Education at the University at Buffalo (1989) in the division of Learning and Instruction – Curriculum Planning department – with an emphasis on leadership education.
He is a proud grandfather of a pair of 4s and 2s.
This is John’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
Marilla, NY, USA
Joette is having fun applying creativity and Creative Problem Solving skills gained in both her undergraduate and graduate degree training in Creative Problem Solving with Drs. Sidney J. Parnes and Ruth B. Noller at Buffalo State. As a part of Dr. Sidney J. Parnes’ Research Study in the early 1970s, and as a pioneer for developing the Masters of Science in Creative Studies at Buffalo State, she continues to research and facilitate the multi-faceted discipline of Creativity. Presently, she is teaching as an adjunct professor in the Executive Leadership and Change Program at Daemen College in Buffalo, NY.
Joette is a curious educator, staff developer, and consultant, with years of experience teaching Creative Thinking in several school districts in Western New York. Joette has consulted in Brazil and South Africa in both educational and corporate settings. Her passion for exploring the potential of human creativity has drawn her into studies of Theory U, Brain Research, Energy Healing and the vast array of holistic and metaphysical miracles.
All Daily 9:00am sessions:
- Are You Here Yet? Improv for the moment (Kate Ashby)
- Art of Deferring Judgment This space intentionally left blank (Matteo Catullo, Max Hurson)
- Creative Team Dynamics Bridging the creative space between people (Marc Hurwitz, Samantha Hurwitz)
- Diving into Poetry Finding your treasure (Michelle Tokarczyk, Lee Dunne)
- Make It Real Making visual thinking and story telling a magical sensory experience (Jim Ridge)
- Mirror, Mirror Learn the art and science of delivering and receiving feedback (John Sedgwick, Ian Rosenfeldt)
- Painting Your Life Letting go and creating the unknowable (Russell Thomas)
- Shower Thinking The art, science and process of incubation (Clare Dus, Liz Monroe-Cook, Kristen Peterson)
- Theory U and YoU Kick start your Theory YoU (John Frederick, Joette Field)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?