Tango as a creative leadership tool
For adults • 90 minutes
Thursday 1:30pm • Centennial Auditorium
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
The proposed creative leadership workshop is a concrete application of the Synectic approach, mainly used in creative solving of very complex problems. Since Argentine Tango is so complex, sophisticated and completely improvised (no predetermined choreography), every step is a co-creation. It really takes two to tango! That’s what makes it a great experimentation field. Nicole Dobinson and I will lead the session.
The workshop is divided in 5 simple steps:
- Identification of common challenges to work on
- Synectic excursion in the tango universe (read tango challenges)
- Idea generation to overcome the tango challenges (noted on Flip Chart)
- Conversion of ideas into concrete solutions face the common challenges identified.
- Q&A on the results, on the Synectic approach and on “Tango intervention” (www.laspiernastango.ca/intervention)
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Explore in a very concrete and fun way the creative leadership principles
- Experiment a very innovative way to apply the U Theory
- Discover the fabulous Tango universe
Montréal, QC, Canada
Since 1991, Manuel works as a creative leadership coach, mainly in North America.
Since 2006, tango has become his main working tool and he shares his passion in French, Spanish and English. In 2011, Manuel founded a tango school in Montreal to further explore the amazing possibilities of this unique tool with a creative leadership team.
This is Manuel’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
Toronto, ON, Canada
With a background in International Relations, Nicole has worked at home and abroad as a capacity builder, strategic planner and adviser for government, new business and the UN.
A dancer at heart, she combines her love of tango and salsa with all the Latin world has taught her about creativity, expression and passion. Weaving into this, studies in Eastern healing methods and Shamanism, she works with groups and individuals to achieve new and eye opening ways forward.
She’s a member of the Centre for Social Innovation in Toronto and also recently completed a documentary on the power of salsa to create community and build Toronto into the city of the future.
Nicole is a returning presenter. Click to see what they’ve presented in the past.
All Thursday 1:30pm sessions:
- Between the Beats The magic of rhythm lies in the space between (Mario Allende, Toto Berriel)
- Celebrating Complexity The connection between creativity and tolerating complexity (Katie Tagye, Dan Bigonesse)
- FOMO to JOMO Trust your creativity through fear, uncertainty, and loss (Karen BK Chan)
- Raising Adults How to get creative about about raising a creative generation (Ismet Mamnoon)
- The Possible Dream Sequence 1 – Garden of Totems (Clara Kluk, Sylvain Rouillard)
- Tracking Wonder The surprising path to Beginner’s Mind (Jeffrey Davis)
- U Lead Tango as a creative leadership tool (Manuel Soto, Nicole Dobinson)
- Undoing the Splits Exploring the spaces between inner and outer life (Alina Isaac)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?