Strategies for increasing participant engagement
For adults • 90 minutes
Maximum Participants: 20
Wednesday 8:00pm • Court 4
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Have you ever found it difficult to get and keep an audience’s attention? Have you ever needed to deal more effectively with short attention spans, teach important points with interactive exercises, or help your group feel more connected to each other? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, this workshop may be for you.
Bruce will teach you principles for leading ice breakers, energizers and exercises. You’ll engage in 10-15 brief activities that you can incorporate into your own teaching or training. You’ll get pointers for conducting icebreakers, promoting teamwork, using activities and exercises to teach important points, self-awareness and creative problem solving, and infusing appropriate humor into your presentations. You’ll even learn at least two magic tricks you can insert into any presentation.
Those weaned on pickles are encouraged to select a different workshop.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Learn principles and strategies for engaging audiences of various types and sizes
- Participate in over 15 icebreakers, energizers, magic and activities that promote learning, team building, creative problem solving and laughter
- Learn strategies for dealing with difficult participants
Dr. R. Bruce Baum, a legend in his own mind, is a Professor Emeritus at Buffalo State College, co-founder of Applied Learning Associates and the ‘Head Honcho’ of HumorCreativity.Com. He received degrees from the University of Cincinnati, and Indiana University. Dr. Baum is author of two books, a DVD, a training CD and many articles.
Awards he has received include the Beyonder’s Award for Excellence in Creativity (South Africa Creativity Foundation, 2013), the Distinguished Leader Award (Creative Education Foundation, 2012) and the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (Buffalo State College, 2007. He is a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, Coordinator of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute Humor Project, a Certified Laughter Leader and a member of the Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor. Dr. Baum has made professional presentations Singapore, Cyprus, Jamaica, Japan, South Africa (10 times), Costa Rica, Dubai, and Canada.
In his spare time, Dr. Baum is a Rocket Scientist, Bronco Rider, Taxidermist, Explorer, Brain Surgeon and Gourmet.
Bruce is a returning presenter. Click here to see their sessions from previous years.
All Wednesday 8:00pm sessions:
- Carpool Innovation The Journey is the destination (Deborah Jann)
- Check Your Privilege Facilitating with an awareness of who’s in the room (Denise Pinto, Robert Wakulat)
- Creative Process Foot Camp 12 simple steps to thinking better (Tim Hurson, Kristen Peterson)
- Dr. Diagnosis Asking the ‘right’ questions to get to the ‘real’ right answer! (Victoria Finn)
- Improvise Your Third How to get to the third third of opportunities through play (Tony Esteves)
- Motivating Audiences Strategies for increasing participant engagement (Bruce Baum)
- Tango Shining Dancing your shadow into the light! (Nicole Dobinson)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?