Focus on Behavior
Attitudes and intentions do not predict behavior — habits DO
For adults • Mind U session
Daily 9:00am • Court 6
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Most of us trained in organization design and facilitation learned to focus on changing the hearts and minds of the people with whom we are working. But cognitive and behavioral science now shows us that habits drive at least 45% of daily life, especially repeated actions.
We will learn about the latest science of human decision making and behavior and apply this to projects and challenges of session participants. We will learn how to reduce resistance to innovative thinking and increase the probability of changing behavior.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Learn latest theories from cognitive & behavioral science that impact human behavior and decision making
- Apply theories from cognitive & behavioral science to challenges you are currently working solving
- Gain first-hand experience in clarifying the challenges you are working on as behavioral challenges
Image copyright: ismagilov / 123RF Stock Photo
Daniel Epstein is a consultant specializing in the application of cognitive and behavioral science in marketing and innovation. Daniel was at Procter & Gamble USA for 21 years where he was a “Harley Procter Marketer,” the highest designation for expertise in marketing (one of six globally in the company at that time). He was the commercial leader of Crest Whitestrips ($250M sales) and Tide Pods (over $1 B in sales). Daniel led P&G’s work on the future of marketing globally for 3 years, reporting directly to the Chief Marketing Officer. Upon moving to Canada (for love!!!), Daniel began consulting in behavior change as applied to both consumer and public health domains.
Daniel is also founder of “Portraits In Faith,” a multi-media documentary on spirituality changing people’s lives. Daniel has interviewed and made B&W portraits of 450 people in 27 countries over 11 years. Ken Burns, the Emmy-award winning filmmaker, said, “I was completely blown away. By its power and dignity, its implicit compassion and yet unblinking eye. I only wish I hadn’t been on the road for the last 3 months because I would have been able to see this amazing project sooner.”
This is Daniel’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
All Daily 9:00am sessions:
- Breaking It Open Finding the gifts in adversity (Beth Slazak, Missy Carvin)
- Focus on Behavior Attitudes and intentions do not predict behavior — habits DO (Daniel Epstein)
- Mastercoach! Strategies for unlocking creative potential in yourself and others (Cora Robinson, Francois Coetzee)
- Painting Your Life (Russell Thomas, Heather Thomas)
- Storyland The magic land of picture telling (Jim Ridge)
- The Third Eye Evolving your way of seeing (Mary Ellyn Vicksta)
- Third Party Time! How to engage your stakeholders for an innovation no one wants to hear about (Edouard Le Marechal)
- Time Being Experiments in resetting your internal clock (Matteo Catullo, Tim Hurson)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?