Give or Take
Creative communication through touch
For adults • 90 minutes
Maximum Participants: 16
Thursday 1:30pm • Centennial 13
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
It’s often apparent when observing physical interactions who is touching and who is being touched as well as who is talking and who is listening. But what happens when we expand and deconstruct the ideas of ‘giving’ and ‘receiving’ attention? It isn’t as straightforward as you might think!
In this session, you will explore the dynamics of human interaction using touch as a model. As we talk about agreements, pleasure, and the gift of touch, you will learn how to increase awareness of both your desires and your limits, along with how to communicate what you want.
You will also make your own touch into a more present, satisfying and downright delicious experience for yourself and for whomever receives your attention. And then there’s the receiving!
Yet, nobody is required to touch another individual in this touch workshop.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- A powerful understanding of consent in daily interactions
- Access to discovering what you really need (sometimes we don’t really know)
- An expanded sense of physical touch through your hands
Ellicott City, MD
Annie is a “permission-ary,” traveling through life, lending permission to people who want to figure out and create what they really want in their lives — that is, until they are able to create permission for themselves and those around them. Assisting in freedom and personal expansion is one of her greatest joys!
As a former physicist and math/science teacher, Annie loves assisting life experiments. She taught creative problem-solving for over a decade at Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Talented Youth and currently, often presents at Network for a New Culture.
Annie is also passionate about the healing power of touch, serving as a massage therapist and touch educator. She is a member of the American Massage Therapy Association and the National Guild of Hypnotists. Annie catalyzes personal transformation through her presence, her persistence, her expert facilitation, and her willingness to “get real” with anyone willing to “get real” too!
This is Annie’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
All Thursday 1:30pm sessions:
- Aging Reimagined How will you move In your third third? (Heidi Philip, Alina Isaac)
- Failure Academy Learning to laugh in the (sometimes painful) face of learning (Nathan Schwagler, Janet Carmody)
- Give or Take Creative communication through touch (Annie Hopson)
- Listening Dialogues (Doug Reid)
- Maker Families Building together on space, science and technology (Vikas Nath)
- Twisted Tools and Techniques (Janeen Halliwell)
- Weird Idea Generator (Rodrigo Sánchez Picazo)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?