The Art of 3
Negotiation as a science and an art through improv games and theory
For adults • 90 minutes
Maximum Participants: 30
Thursday 10:45am • Court 6
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
Why are some people able to reach agreement faster and better than others? People in conflict have a natural tendency to value their own points of view, each believing there is only one way out. Under time pressure, judgments and biases get triggered quickly: ‘It’s his fault’, ‘She always does that’ etc.
We all know the story, but not necessarily how to get out of it.
In this session, Tessa will take you on an experiential journey through the art and science of negotiation, using improv games and theory to help you develop your negotiating and dispute resolution skills. Come see how improv can be a powerful tool for deeper understanding, creative growth, and better outcomes.
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Explore improv theory in the context of dispute resolutions under time pressure
- Experience how improv games can develop creativity skills and foster creative outcomes in negotiations
- Enhance your skills at practicing the art of negotiation for yourself and for others as a facilitator or a mediator
Image copyright: mexrix / 123RF Stock Photo
Tessa Manuello is an accredited mediator and an emerging researcher at the intersection of dispute resolution, creativity and innovation. On a mission to improve access to justice, she created Neojustice, a forum for creating new ideas for the future of justice.
She is also an Associate Researcher at the Group for the Prevention and Resolution of Disputes (G-PRD) and the author of several publications on innovative legal practices. Tessa is an improviser, a poet and instaphotopoems maker.
Tessa lived on three continents, in Europe, North America and in Africa where she achieved a LLM in each one of them in the fields of Prevention and Resolution of Disputes, Human Rights, and International law.
She occasionally performs live poetry, as at Mind Camp 2013 Passegiata. She is ever since remembered as the French poet by the Apple tree.
Her poetry can be seen on instagram @LaViePoeme_
Tessa is a returning presenter. Click here to see their sessions from previous years.
All Thursday 10:45am sessions:
- ACT First Practice innovation by building rituals that matter (Tammy Sweeney)
- The Art of 3 Negotiation as a science and an art through improv games and theory (Tessa Manuello)
- Bodystorm! Take your ideas a few steps further (Anik April)
- Difficult People Creative ways of dealing with difficult people and looking forward to it three thirds of the time! (Steven Shama)
- Ka-zam! Unleash your inner creative Superhero (Lee Kitchen)
- Leadership Agility How to cultivate leadership agility in our organizations and our lives (Anne-Marie Kong)
- Moving Toward or Away Leveraging emotions to boost creativity, collaboration and influence (Laura Switalski, Tim Switalski)
- Simplify to Persuade How to move your audience to action (Mahmoud Arafa)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?