Telescope Periscope Futurescope
For adults • 90 minutes
Maximum Participants: 12
Friday 1:30pm • Centennial 8
Time and location subject to change (what isn’t?)
“Write me a story about your summer vacation.”“Draw me a picture of your family pet.”“Tell me what you want to be when you grow up.”
The grown-ups who issued those directives hopefully gave you some practice in creative writing, drawing, and… imagining the future?!?!
Just where do we learn how to imagine a future?
Our brains are hardwired to imagine futures that aren’t all that different from the past and present. The very question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” reinforces the social expectation that we will grow up quickly and become a single, predictable thing! But personal growth is a lifelong endeavour, life expectancy keeps extending, and who among us wants to be just ONE thing for the next 90+years?
In this session, we’ll explore the patterns of our imaginations, ways to beat them, and how design thinking can help us imagine three different versions of ourselves in five years time.
Come and build your futurescope!
The Skinny: 3 things you will get from this session
- Three different visions for your life in the next five years
- Plans for prototyping each of your future visions
- And you will lose: your fear of the paths not taken
Emily Nichols is an engineer by training and has spent most of her career in the manufacturing sector. In a world of uniforms and standard operating procedures she has honed her ability to imagine alternative solutions and possibilities. She loves sharing those insights with others through teaching, team-building and one-on-one coaching.
With her fun and energetic personality, she keeps things from getting too serious even when contemplating life’s big questions. By presenting a workshop at Mindcamp this year, Emily is building her own Futurescope… prototyping an idea for her next career move.
This is Emily’s first year presenting at Mindcamp.
All Friday 1:30pm sessions:
- Erotic Insights The relationship with the erotic in you (Alina Isaac)
- Every Third Matters Three ways to dramatically improve your life and performance (Greg Zlevor)
- Find the Path What happens after you lose your way and then open your heart (Renee Paser-Paull)
- Lens of Style! Understanding yourself and others (Diane Houle-Rutherford)
- Liberating Structures (Dan Bigonesse)
- Scentstorming (Tamara Christensen, Vince Malouf)
- Telescope Periscope Futurescope (Emily Nichols)
- …or why not just hop to another random session?